Thursday, December 06, 2007

She left Her Eyebrows at Church Camp

It is my first year at church camp with teens. My own daughter is one of them. According to people much older than me, this place hasn’t changed in 40 years. Two lovely (air conditioned) worship centers were added in the past decade, but we only get in there about two hours a day. The dorms are simple. Concrete floors. Narrow wire and wood navy bunks. Three showers, three stalls. My lovely oldest daughter claims one bathroom stall as the location of her salvation, and while I have a hard time visualizing it, I can’t deny anyone’s moment of salvation.
She was my reason to be dorm mom that year. She left her eyebrows at church camp. Yes, her eyebrows. I can tell you about it now because she’s grown, as are her brows.
According to her, it was all Charlie’s fault. Either way, there was a dare involved. Charlie promised to shave his legs if she would shave her eyebrows. If she had been alert she would have realized that Charlie had already shaved his legs the day before on some other dare.
A crowd of youth gathered, chanted, the mob mentality kicked in, and zip--zip, there went the eyebrows. For three days, my daughter screamed whenever she saw herself in the mirror. I tried very hard not to laugh. Eyebrows grow back. Good sense, however, may never find fertile ground in the soul of a 14-year-old girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment