Monday, November 19, 2007

One Hero of Many

Vic is my oldest friend.
She's not old, but our friendship is old.
We met our first day in Panama, May 1984. The reason I mention her is that she taught me the most important lesson about all relationships and it is this:
Your behavior does not dictate mine. Your behavior does not dictate mine. You behavior does not dictate mine!!
It's so simple, yet a physical rule that changes every interaction. It is not just a rule, it's a practice.
She is also my hero because when a beloved uncle tried to teach her about trust as a child by asking her to jump into his arms, and then dropping her!! She learned a little about trust, but a great deal about truth. She has never once tolerated a lie and she has a pretty hearty intuition when she is being lied to. Her children can surely attest to that.
Because truth is sometimes a very slippery subject for me, I look to her for that solid ground.
Love you, Girl...

No comments:

Post a Comment