Friday, November 02, 2007

Acting On The Dream

Okay, so you gave yourself permission to dream, and maybe you made a list of the things you want, no matter how outrageous they might be. Now the enormous question is: How do I get there from here?
While you’re the only expert on your goals and dreams, I do have a few tips. First take your list and begin to write or draw a picture of what your life looks like when those goals are accomplished. Steep yourself in the reality of it for a few moments as if it is now accomplished. Some people will call this visualization, while others call it fantasy, but either way, it’s a good tool to begin the steps toward making it real.
I always wanted to be an astronaut. Unfortunately, I get airsick occasionally and seasick regularly. I can’t go on those spinny rides at the fair. There may be limitations in actual astronaut work for a girl like me. But maybe after I start to draw a picture of it, it’s not really being an astronaut that I want.
Maybe I just want to see the Earth from space, or help get the space station operational so that my children can go out there someday. Maybe what I liked about astronauts was the adventure of new places and the possibility of meeting aliens. Maybe I could write a space novel or movie script. My point is this: Sometimes we think certain limitations revoke our dreams, but getting down to the gritty details helps us see what it really is that we wanted all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment