Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Getting To It

The beginning of giving your creative self an honored place in your life is to ask, “What do I really want?” Some of us have left those dreams on the back burner for so long we only have a vague ache to inhale a refreshing ocean breeze and reinhabit ourselves.
For most of us, the real problem is that you can’t know what you want until you know a lot more about what you don’t want. For instance, if I want a burger, and I never ate a burger before, it wouldn’t really matter where I start. But after I’ve tried a few burgers from a variety of places, I’m pretty likely to be more selective.
For a more appropriate example, I have a friend who was determined that the main thing she lacked in life was a husband. She had three husbands (in a row) and they never quite managed to live up to her expectations.
I finally asked her this: “If you were completely secure financially without a husband, what would you want in a husband.” At that point she realized she didn’t want a husband, she wanted a bank. Her way of putting it was: “I could overlook all the yucky man stuff if he would make me financially secure.”
SO, what you DON'T want is scattered behind you on the path to finding your passion.

3 comments:

  1. So if I wanted to be an actress does that mean I just didn't want to be myself? Now, I realize, myself is actually what I want to be when I grow up, only, what exactly is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you wanted to be an actress because there is a purpose designed in you that needs to connect with an audience and give a message, just the same way my urge to write is also such a need and purpose.
    Each person has this God-image in them that drives their purpose and if we are self-aware we either go towards it with trust that we will be brought to our purpose or we run screaming away to the depths of the whale's belly trying to get out of it because it appears too difficult or some other messages in our upbringing have made us NOT trust.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this me? I never said I could overlook all the yucky man stuff if ... whatever. It's not true I never wanted anything but a bank. I wanted a lover, a friend, AND a bank. I mean, do you think you're being fair? Wanting a man to support you so you can be a housewife is hardly being a gold digger.

    How else would you have three husbands except in row? I couldn't very well have them simultaneously, could I?

    ReplyDelete